Whoop ‘n’ Wail is on the look out for directors to join the Whoop ‘n’ Wail Represents…Mayday team.
If you think you might be interested, please read the brief below and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following details.
- Your contact details
- Your directing CV (which must include at least two professional credits)
- Confirmation of your availability for the project including the tech rehearsal on Monday 27th April.
- Confirmation that you have read the Director’s Brief below and agree to the terms.
The deadline for expressions of interest is 5pm Wednesday 25th March 2015.
What is Represents…?
With brand new plays from both male and female writers, Represents... is a showcase with a difference.
Whoop ‘n’ Wail have committed to achieving gender equality on the UK stage by creating a night of entertaining, engaging theatre with all plays having significant roles for women.
Consisting of six fifteen-minute shorts, each piece of writing must pass the Bechdel Test –
they must include at least two named female characters who, at some stage, talk to each other about something other than a man. Inspired by Alison Bechdel’s 1987 comic strip, The Rules, the Bechdel Test has become the benchmark for gauging fair representation on stage and screen.
The sold-out launch of Represents… in Nov 2014 featured work by both established and emerging playwrights and directors invited by the curators to kick off the inaugural event. Represents…Desire in Feb 2015 featured plays from both sides of the Atlantic selected via an open submission process.
For Represents…Mayday, the submission process is open to writers currently living in the UK. Each submission will be read, six pieces selected, and successful writers paired with a director. The show will be at Waterloo East Theatre, London on Monday 27th & Tuesday 28th April 2015.
What we are producing:
● 15 minute pieces of new and original writing using the theme Mayday as a stimulus.
● Stage plays – either complete short plays or a self-contained extract from a larger work.
● Plays that pass the Bechdel Test
● There is no limit to the number of characters the play can have, however at least two must be female. If casting is gender-neutral a qualifying female-female interaction must be achieved through casting.
● The qualifying female characters must interact with each other directly about a subject other than men at some point in the play.
☑ Availability for the technical rehearsal on Monday 27th April 2015.
☑ Organising and accommodating rehearsals
☑ Props & costume
☑ A completed tech script and appropriate sound files by the given deadline
☑ Providing phone and email contact details for all cast members
☑ Prompt response to contact from the company regarding the project, and notice in advance of times you will be uncontactable for more than 24 hours
What we provide:
☑ The performance space in central London
☑ An original play that has never been previously performed
☑ The marketing for the showcase
☑ Basic lighting
☑ Basic set
☑ Assistance with casting (on request)
☑ Assistance with sourcing props and costume (on request)
☑ Support: each director will be allocated a link person for the duration of the project who will be your direct contact for any problems or queries.
- There is no budget for this project and participation is on the understanding of this.
- The director will have sole responsibility for casting the piece and arranging rehearsals. Writers may be invited to rehearsals, however this will be at the director’s discretion.
- All suggested cuts/changes to be agreed by the writer.
- Directors will be entitled to a complimentary ticket for each performance for their own use only. These tickets cannot be transferred.
- Due to venue restrictions, complimentary tickets for press and industry professionals are only available to the producers. No other complimentary tickets will be available to cast or creatives, however requests to allocate tickets can be submitted to the producers for use by legitimate industry professionals such as casting directors. Whoop ‘n’ Wail will consider all requests, however this does not guarantee approval. The producers’ decision is final.
- No naked flames, smoking or fire will be permitted in the venue (this includes anything that produces smoke: candles, party poppers, etc).
- No hot food is permitted on the theatre premises (this includes props).
This is not a paid commission – everyone involved in the project (including the producers) contribute their time and talent for free. Whoop ‘n’ Wail have applied for funding, so this may change as the project develops and we will update you if there are any changes. All accounts for Represents… will be available to any member of the company at any time by request.
innovation • entertainment • social justice